Re: [LAD] FIxed alsa-tools' envy24control missing peak level meters and "Reset Peaks"

From: <fons@...>
To: <linux-audio-dev@...>
Date: Monday, July 12, 2010 - 11:40 pm

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 03:41:15PM -0700, Niels Mayer wrote:

> (1) Think about building-in meter ballistics from Fons Adriaensen's

That comment is still true. A K-meter is for signals
that are in a sense the 'end result' you listen to.
For monitoring 'technical' levels in digital audio
the peak digital level is all you need.

A much more serious failure of Envy24ctl's meters is
that they don't provide any level indication at all.
Where is -10 dB ? or -20 dB ? Except for checking if
a signal is present they are just eye candy.

For me it doesn't matter at all. I/O gains are fixed
and levels are checked either by application software
or by the external equipment (a mixer in my case, the
sound card is connected as if it were an 8-track). So
in practice I never use Envy24control.

Je veux que la mort me trouve plantant mes choux, mais
nonchalant d’elle, et encore plus de mon jardin imparfait.
(Michel de Montaigne)