Re: [LAD] FIxed alsa-tools' envy24control missing peak level meters and "Reset Peaks"

From: <fons@...>
To: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@...>
Cc: <linux-audio-dev@...>
Date: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 8:19 am

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 06:18:29PM -0700, Niels Mayer wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 4:40 PM, wrote:

Yes, if the mixer is used for monitoring you'd want a good ides
of the level you send to the musician's headphones.

But the output mixer is available on two PCM ins as well, so you can
measure it there using the real thing.

> If anybody wants to contribute a mapping of 0-255 in db as the "9

That is easy enough. L dB (L < 0) corresponds to 255 * (10 ^ L / 20).

> And fons, if you

Indeed it's not possible. You can't derive average or RMS levels
from peak levels. Basically you need all samples.

> Speaking of making my brain hurt -- I really would not have done the

That is indeed quite absurd.

Je veux que la mort me trouve plantant mes choux, mais
nonchalant d’elle, et encore plus de mon jardin imparfait.
(Michel de Montaigne)